Lieutenant Colonel John F. Wiles is Chief of the Optometry Clinic, 130th Airlift Wing, McLaughlin Air National Guard Base, Charleston, West Virginia. He provides and supervises all examinations, procurement of required spectacles, and over site of the soft contact lens program for over 180 flight crew. He also obtains required gas mask and safety spectacles for all non-flying personnel of the 130th Airlift Wing. If members of the Wing ever need optometry services for mission requirements, Dr. Wiles never hesitates to see the member in his office directly.
Lieutenant Colonel Wiles entered his military service as part of the West Virginia Air National Guard in June 2001 after a private Optometric practice for 16 years. He finished his officer training in March 2002 with honors. He has worked as the Optometrist for the 130th Medical Group as well as belonging to the Executive Management Committee since 2005. He served as the self-inspection database monitor for the 130th Medical Group during 2006-2008. Additionally, he assisted with coordination and management of all Medical Group programs including the CERFP mission during its early formation in 2004. Prior to Lieutenant Colonel Wiles returning as the Chief of Optometry Clinic, he was the Chemical, Biological, Radiological/Nuclear, and Explosive (CBRNE) – Enhanced Response Force Package Detachment Commander Select from January 2014 to March of 2016. Lieutenant Colonel Wiles led the transition of the CERFP from being and integrated entity within the Medical Group as an additional duty for its members, to a standalone detachment with a separate UTC assigned to the 130th Medical Group.
Lt. Colonel Wiles background includes successfully running a private Optometric Practice for over 32 years. He has also served on the Clay Center Corporate Relations Board, Civitan International, Cub Scout Pack leader, Deacon in the Presbyterian Church and soccer coach.
- 1985 Doctor of Optometry, Southern College of Optometry, Memphis TN
- 1987 Bachelor of Science Biomedical Sciences, Southern College of Optometry, Memphis TN
- 2002 Officer Training School, (Honor Flight) Maxwell-Gunter AFB, AL
- 2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, AL., by correspondence
- 2008 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, AL., by correspondence
- 2015 Air War College, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, AL., by correspondence
- 2017 (September) Selected to attend Air National Guard Commanders Course, Andrews Airforce Base, MD
- March 2016 – Present, 130th Medical Group, Chief of Optometry, Charleston, WV
- January 2014 – March 2016 130th Medical Group CERFP Detachment Commander Select, Charleston, WV
- April 2007 – January 2014 – 130th Medical Group, Chief of Optometry, Charleston, WV
- June 2001 – March 2007 – 130th Medical Group Optometrist, Charleston, WV